|spaghetti squash vegan gluten free PASTA recipe|
Cut the squash in half. Save the seeds to grow more in your garden
1 whole spaghetti squash
1 large onion ( I prefer maui or sweet) chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium tomato chopped rough in 6 pieces
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
¼ cup fresh snipped basil
2 cloves garlic minced or garlic powder 1 teaspoon if you are in a hurry
¾ teaspoon rough sea salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
¼ cup grated Parmesan or romano cheese, optional
Small jar marinara sauce
1. Do not bother to Pre-heat oven – this is a side dish added to your oven temperature for whatever else you are baking. Tonight I’m baking a salmon in lime and dill on top shelf, and whole sweet potatoes (ingredients for something tomorrow) Line a baking pan with foil, makes easy clean up. I like to use my iphone timer to help remind me to multi task. Prepare salmon and sweet potatoes on baking dish on top shelf.
2. Using the tip of a sharp knife cut squash in half. Scoop out seeds. Save seeds for your garden. This squash is easy to grow. Place on foil lined baking pan with cup upright. Fill with olive oil, tomato, thyme, garlic salt and pepper. Allow the foil to curl around the two halves. Bake for around 1.25 hours at 350 or 1 hour at 375 just check is roasted and tender.
3. Meanwhile cook the onions in olive oil until tender (3 minutes) add sauce. Bring to a bubble, turn heat down to a simmer, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Uncover and cook for about 6-8 minutes, stirring
4. Remove squash from oven, scoop out the contents of the two halves and add to the sauce pot. You are only mixing the squash and sauce together. Add basil, taste and check the sauce. My son like’s hot sauce, perhaps it needs a dash of soy sauce. Using the same baking sheet and new piece of foil return the “noodles” with the sauce back into the halves and warm in the oven. You can add cheese on top (perhaps only on one half as in my household one doesn’t eat cheese)
5. To serve: Place the spaghetti squash on a serving platter with some fresh herbs around. Allow everyone to scoop their own portion.
Makes 8 servings. Preparation time: 3 minutes. Bake time 1 hour. Serve on table in 1 hour 20 minutes.
Without the cheese this is vegan. With the cheese the recipe is vegetarian. I grow my own herbs, tomatoes, garlic and squash organic in my little yard in Laguna Niguel California ( Orange County ). I like to use the oven for several dishes. This saves energy and time. Start the squash when you get home from work. Cheap as I only purchased the jar of organic sauce at Trader Joe's. Both my children love this, it is gluten free alternative to pasta.
I line a cookie tray with foil and then curl it around. The top will roast but there is no cleanup. Dice one red bell pepper, chop a whole tomato in 5- 6 pieces, tablespoon of cheap not virgin olive oil, smashed garlic clove or if you are in a hurry- sprinkle garlic powder, salt and pepper