7/05/2019

Fun Easy Fourth Recipe

fourth of july silly hats
Last night I took my Mom down to my sister and brother in law's boat in Dana Point Harbor for
Independence Day Celebrations. I fussed for two days prior making a couple dishes that were
healthy and from my garden. I have a small farm with vegetables, flowers, and herbs. My
sister told me not to worry as there were being more simple with the menu this year as my
brother in law just had heart surgery. They have a small grill they put on the dock, and they
were going to just cook bratwurst because they don't require much condiments.

The day before I picked a basket of heirloom tomatoes, a bucket of baby Dutch yellow potatoes, bunches of arugula, sweet onions, four lemons, garlic, celery, thyme, basil, and more.

The recipes are below and photographs of garden in progress, always.

Fourth Of July is a fun American holiday. There aren't rules, you just set up the traditions as
your family and friends agree. I'm fortunate with two siblings who own boats. This gives me
opportunity for joy, with supplying delicious food I enjoy creating, and no deck cleaning.

My Mom is eighty seven, well eight in a few days. It's my tradition to share watching fireworks with my Mom, and any family who can attend. In years past I hosted a party at my home, where we could swim and watch the Monarch Beach, Laguna Beach and Dana shows. Sold that home and now on the ranch where fireworks are a big danger.

My brother in law who I mentioned had heart surgery on Wednesday of last week was captain. He drove or do I say sailed the dingy out to anyone who wanted to play in the afternoon Water Wars. You wonder what that is... On the main channel and under the walking bridges people take buckets, squirt guns and water blasters and engage in dousing one another. It was a blast to say the least. I didn't bring a bathing suit this year; and was cold later in the evening; but so worth the silly energy.

We played music, ate, paddle boarded and watched the show. The show not only is a spectacular fireworks at 9:00, but the people watching was great.

I got Mom and her walker home at 10:45. I made it up the mountain by almost midnight. Before I went to sleep. I said my prayers and included: God Bless America


Zucchini  flowers

zucchini

Inbetween my bunny defense fences are these mix of native and colored milkweed to feed the monarch butterflies

pumpkin starting

This one tomato plant has hundreds of fruits (green right now)  I put the 5 gallon water jug in front to show you it is four feet tall and fourteen across

Last of the yellow potatoes that I harvested

zucchini flowers

fencing to keep rabbits out

another happy zucchini flower

green tomatoes


And now the recipes

Healthy Potato Salad from the Garden
Prep time 20 minutes
Category: Salad
Cuisine: California Healthy
Cook time 15 minutes
author: Caroline Gerardo
Serving size: 1/2 cup
160 calories 
6 grams protein
vitamin A, B, C, folate, niacin, potassium, riboflavin, 
Recipe ingredients:
2 lemons
bunch of basil
large bunch fresh thyme
sprig of rosemary
2 cups good organic olive oil
tablespoon of salt
fresh ground black pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon paprika
teaspoon of sesame seeds
tablespoon sugar
half cup walnuts
3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup white vinegar
5 cups yellow dutch or small baby potatoes
1 cup cherry tomatoes and yellow pears
9 heirloom tomatoes
1 Maui onion chopped fine (brown onions are too harsh and the price of Maui now are cheap)
5 stalks celery chopped rough
15 mint leaves sliced thin
small watermelon or 6 apricots or 6 fresh figs 

Boil ten cups yellow potatoes in salted water with springs of thyme.
The water should cover them and simmer fifteen minutes. Check if soft.
If tender to the fork and you cut the large ones to be same size as the smallest,
turn heat over cover and allow to cool.
You are going to make two similar but different vinaigrette-s. You will need three small bowls.
Grate one of the two lemons into super thin strips.
Juice both lemons
With a scissors make thin strips of basil about 4 tablespoons
Strip the remaining thyme to only tiny leaves
In a roasting pan dry or a cast iron one- heat the walnuts to release the roast flavor
put he nuts aside
In the same pan heat 2 tablespoons sesame seeds don't burn just heat to a few pop, put aside cooling
Chop 5 stalks celery very fine
Then the onion as thin as you can slices
they the garlic into tiny teeny slices and smash
the potatoes should be cool enough, drain the liquid and freeze for soup stock.
peel the skins and check for blemishes to throw away.
put the potatoes in your pretty container
slice the tomatoes thin, arrange flat with a variety of sizes and shapes over lapping on a platter
Dressing # 1 for the tomato and watermelon salad
half the garlic put in small bowl add 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup white vinegar
Add 1.2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 pepper or season to your diet
1/2 teaspoon sugar and taste
Does it need a balance or a note?
1 teaspoon thyme
maybe a dash of soy sauce or hot pepper?
add half the onion and let set a minute while you keep working

Dressing #2 for the potato salad
the other half of chopped garlic
 3/4 cup olive oil
cup lemon juice
teaspoon of salt
teaspoon of pepper
sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon sugar or you can use same of honey

Okay it's time to go
The tomatoes and other fruit are on a flat platter.
Sprinkle the basil and mint over the top. 
Drizzle # 1 dressing on top 
scatter the walnuts
taste one and check are the tomatoes savory and sweet?

Other bowl 
add celery and chopped onion and some cherry tomatoes for color
toss in the dressing #2 
taste

Cover. put in iced cooler, and  deliver
You can serve with crusty bread or baguette

I used to do deviled eggs and mayo but this avoids problems
So if you got this far tell me what you did for the 4th?