10/08/2019

Cheap Drip Vacation Watering System

I live on a ranch. I have 188 potted plants in the greenhouse and surrounds. I know the number because before I went on my trip to Alaska I rigged a funky drip watering system for all the plants.
I had saved one gallon and a variety of water containers for a couple months. Poke two pin holes in the lid and check how fast the flow operates- this varies from bottle styles. You may need four holes to get a nice slow drip.
Water all the plants before you go on vacation. Check that they all have some type of bottom saucer to hold the run off.
All my plants and seedlings lived during 100 degree heat without water for fourteen days. Some were wilted and thirsty, but they made it. It's not pretty but very functional
One gallon Water Bottles will need sticks to prop them up

sticks holding the water bottle straight
The plastic mesh was added around the potted plants to keep my chickens out while I was on vacation for a couple weeks