4/14/2020

College 2020 Graduation Party Ideas

My son graduates college this June. We already know the UC system is not allowing
the traditional commencement, with cap and gown. My son was actually happy that
he doesn't have to "walk." High School graduation at Dana Hills was a long all day
affair where students arrived early in the morning to be searched and breath-a-lizer
tested for alcohol. I didn't know this at the time, I was the proud but oblivious Mom
helping my Mom with her walker get down on the lower field.

We had planned to take a trip together where I told him I would give him x amount
of money and he would book the flights and plan the itinerary as some of our, well,
many of our past vacations involved road trips which he hates and hiking which we
all love but was often in hot weather with mosquitoes. Our last trek was all over Alaska
partly in a rented RV and lots of hiking in the National Parks. I had the flu and son caught
a cold.

Crossing the bridge from college to work


So these are my ideas as I think travel will still be closed or not that safe in June.

1. An outdoor family picnic down by the now sinking Pilgrim in Dana Point Harbor.
I don't think they will be hauling it our soon and the backdrop of the sinking ship that
my children enjoyed in grade school pared with coronavirus graduation has a funny
ring to the idea,  will they cut it up for souvenirs before June?
I can make a brunch and they have fire pits which I would reserve. Inviting my family
and his cousins, but still allowing distance and fresh air. Then give him the IOU that
we will take a trip next spring when God willing this pandemic is over.

or
2. Do a picnic on the beach in Santa Cruz where he great grandmother liked to sunbathe
and order food. This would likely only involve myself, his sister and roommates, again
with the promise of a future trip

or
3. Send out cards for a virtual party that we Zoom. This sounds terrible as I'm already
tired of online work and videos of my wrinkles but we could all
wear clothing in the style of the year we individually wore when we graduated. Forget
about the trip and use the money to pay off all his student loans, its about the same
amount. Please keep in mind I was the sole support of my children and his father paid
nothing for all his years of schooling and college, no I take that back he gave him twenty
dollars for gas last year.  Son only had to get small loan in his last year, and I got a large
parent loan.

or
You tell me
Me making table decorations for Mom's B day